This was a fun whip repair that came in! This stock whip’s leather keeper had broken and it’s owner did a quick self repair by tying a knot to make it semi functional.
When I was contacted, I asked if they had a picture of it before it was broken so that I could try to match what it previously had, and unfortunately they didn’t. I did a little bit of research and found some samples of what I thought it might have looked like before and this is one the owner thought looked the closest.
The person who ordered the hunt whip thong from me a bit ago liked it and just ordered another one. This one is five feet long, where the previous one was six feet. Here’s the core before it’s cut out:
And the core after it’s cut out:
This whip will have a little bit of a swell belly, so you can see that in the core’s shape. Here’s the completed interior layers:
Finally work get started on the outside:
This whip will have an 8 plait whiskey colored kangaroo overlay:
I’m glad the customer liked the first one enough to order a second one!
For about a decade I’ve wanted to make a bullwhip that had a human bone for a handle. A while ago I found a fibula that would be perfect for the handle of a short bullwhip. This whip internally has a core, bolster and plaited belly.
Here’s the overlay:
I started braiding in the middle of the bone handle so that I could get the plaiting nice and tight where it was going to start on the finished whip. I also lashed it down tightly with string.
And here’s the finished whip:
Here’s a close up of the handle:
This whip has a great crack and I think it’s a cool functional piece of art!
I’m based in the Seattle area and every now and then I get someone asking about learning to crack whips. One of the nice things is that I can meet up with them at a park and teach them the basics.
The bonus is that I have a lot of different whips, you can try cracking a lot of different style and you can see the difference between a bullwhip and a stock whip, or bullwhip with an 8 inch handle and a 12 inch handle.
If you’re in the Seattle area and would like info about some whip cracking lessons, hit me up!
Another whip came in for a new fall. After a quick look at it, it also needed the point replaited. At some point this whip’s fall hitch had come undone and it someone retied the end of the whip poorly.
Here’s a close up of the end:
This is one of the cheap-o whips, where what it cost for me to replait the point and put a new fall on would cost about the same as buying a new whip. The owner said it has sentimental value, and wanted to proceed with the repair.
This was a fun project because it’s not what I normally make. It’s a lash for a hunt whip! The customer had been trying to replicate a lash that they already had, after checking out some pictures and getting some measurements, I got started.
The first step was ordering some whiskey colored veg tanned kangaroo from David Morgan.
Then I cut out the core, plaited they belly and added a bolster to it. Here are the finished internal layers:
After that I cut out the set for the overlay. This is going to be 8 plait.
Next I had to do all the strand prep, so stretching and paring the lace and then I started to plait the overlay.
And here’s the finished hunt whip thong:
I like the way it came out, and it’s got a nice crack to it!
It must be the season for fixing whips, here’s a swivel handle bullwhip that needs it’s point replaited and a new fall.
I’m pretty familiar with this whip, well not this exact whip, but this style. It’s the same as the very first whip I ever bought. Originally it would have had the shorter and wider Texas style fall, after talking with it’s owner we decided to go with the more modern Aussie style fall.
This wood handle bullwhip recently came in for a repair. Besides being coiled up way too tightly and very dry, it needed the point to be replaited and a new fall put on.
On a little side note, please do not store your whips coiled up like this. For a well made whip, coiling it tightly like this may put some memory into the whip causing it to be less accurate and puts unnecessary stress onto the lash.
I coated it with some Pecard Leather Dressing and let that soak in for a couple of days. Then I replaited the point and added a new redhide fall and the whip is good to go!
I offered to redo the transition knot, but the owner wanted to keep the original one. This is back in the mail today, and has a lot more whip cracking life in it!