One of the nice things about living in the Seattle area is that I can visit the crew up at David Morgan!
They are my main source for the veg tanned, drum stuffed kangaroo that I use for my whips. The cool thing is that they let me dig through their stock, so I can find exactly what I need for the whip I’m planning on making!
If you ever get a chance to swing by their shop, the “shop bullwhip” is one of the best looking Indiana Jones bullwhips I’ve ever seen!
It makes sense that their Indy Bullwhip is amazing as David made them for the movies.
Here’s a swivel handled bullwhip that recently came in for a repair. The first thing is needed was to have some Pecard Leather Dressing put on it as it was pretty dry. Once the bullwhip had drank that up, I could start to deal with the reason it was sent it, it needed a new point and fall.
I also n0ticed that the heel knot was non-existent and it was just the knot foundation leather, so I got the OK from the owner to replace that as well.
Here’s the whip with the new fall hitch and redhide fall attached:
And finally here’s the bullwhip with the new heel knot:
This whip just needed a little bit of love (aka maintenance) and it’s back out there cracking!
This was a fun whip repair that came in! This stock whip’s leather keeper had broken and it’s owner did a quick self repair by tying a knot to make it semi functional.
When I was contacted, I asked if they had a picture of it before it was broken so that I could try to match what it previously had, and unfortunately they didn’t. I did a little bit of research and found some samples of what I thought it might have looked like before and this is one the owner thought looked the closest.
The person who ordered the hunt whip thong from me a bit ago liked it and just ordered another one. This one is five feet long, where the previous one was six feet. Here’s the core before it’s cut out:
And the core after it’s cut out:
This whip will have a little bit of a swell belly, so you can see that in the core’s shape. Here’s the completed interior layers:
Finally work get started on the outside:
This whip will have an 8 plait whiskey colored kangaroo overlay:
I’m glad the customer liked the first one enough to order a second one!
For about a decade I’ve wanted to make a bullwhip that had a human bone for a handle. A while ago I found a fibula that would be perfect for the handle of a short bullwhip. This whip internally has a core, bolster and plaited belly.
Here’s the overlay:
I started braiding in the middle of the bone handle so that I could get the plaiting nice and tight where it was going to start on the finished whip. I also lashed it down tightly with string.
And here’s the finished whip:
Here’s a close up of the handle:
This whip has a great crack and I think it’s a cool functional piece of art!
I’m based in the Seattle area and every now and then I get someone asking about learning to crack whips. One of the nice things is that I can meet up with them at a park and teach them the basics.
The bonus is that I have a lot of different whips, you can try cracking a lot of different style and you can see the difference between a bullwhip and a stock whip, or bullwhip with an 8 inch handle and a 12 inch handle.
If you’re in the Seattle area and would like info about some whip cracking lessons, hit me up!
Another whip came in for a new fall. After a quick look at it, it also needed the point replaited. At some point this whip’s fall hitch had come undone and it someone retied the end of the whip poorly.
Here’s a close up of the end:
This is one of the cheap-o whips, where what it cost for me to replait the point and put a new fall on would cost about the same as buying a new whip. The owner said it has sentimental value, and wanted to proceed with the repair.
This was a fun project because it’s not what I normally make. It’s a lash for a hunt whip! The customer had been trying to replicate a lash that they already had, after checking out some pictures and getting some measurements, I got started.
The first step was ordering some whiskey colored veg tanned kangaroo from David Morgan.
Then I cut out the core, plaited they belly and added a bolster to it. Here are the finished internal layers:
After that I cut out the set for the overlay. This is going to be 8 plait.
Next I had to do all the strand prep, so stretching and paring the lace and then I started to plait the overlay.
And here’s the finished hunt whip thong:
I like the way it came out, and it’s got a nice crack to it!