Kangaroo Stock Whip Progress…

Kangaroo Stock Whip Progress…

The pair of stock whips that I’ve been working on have been having some slow  progress.  Right now I have one of the lashes finished:

stock whip

If you look at the keeper you can tell I used a natural tan kangaroo inside.  In the future I’ll be sure to use a belly that matches the outside.  On this pair I may simply dye the part that’s showing black and then it won’t show.

I also have starting plaiting one of the handles:

stock whip handle

Before I started plaiting the handle I put the lash on it and took it outside to crack it.  As a test I tried making a kangaroo fall.

kangaroo whip fall

This kangaroo fall was cut around the tail of the kangaroo skin where it’s typically the thickest.  I’m not 100% positive that I’m on board with the roo fall.  On the other stock whip of this pair I’ll put a whitehide fall and see which that I like better.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

Fall Replacement and Seattle Snap Dragons…

Fall Replacement and Seattle Snap Dragons…

I got this bullwhip in earlier this week for a fall replacement:

bullwhip

And with the new fall:

bullwhiop

Here’s a video of some test cracking:


Also I visited the Seattle Snap Dragon’s Bullwhip Study Group last week:

bullwhip

bullwhip

It was a lot of fun!

Oh, and here’s a quick progress report on the 16 plait 10 foot bullwhip I’m working on, currently I have about 18 inches of it plaited.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

 

Accidental Whitehide Fall Experiment…

Accidental Whitehide Fall Experiment…

A week or so ago when I was cooking up a batch of plaiting soap I put some falls in it to soak up a bit.   I took them all out after letting them soak up the plaiting soapy goodness…or at least I thought I did.  One whitehide fall got left behind and I just found it a couple nights ago.  It became very spongy and was very moist.  So I hung it up to dry and when it was dry it became stiff, it didn’t want to bend.  When I forced it to bend it just snapped in two pieces.

So the moral of the story is too much of a good thing is bad.

Louie

http://bullwhips.org

Making a snake whip

Making a snake whip

Over the last couple of days I made a three foot 16 plait kangaroo snake whip.  Recently I’ve changed how I make my shot bags and I’m liking the results, they are a bit heavier and that weight goes just a tad further out.

how to make a snake whip

Here’s the overlay:

kangaroo

The customer wanted it in all black including the fall…that meant I had to dye the fall.  Here’s it before dying (you can see it after dying in the finished picture):

white hide fall

To dye it I gave it several coats of black leather dye and while it did a great job on the sides and flesh side it really didn’t do much to the grain side.  It beaded up and wouldn’t soak in.  So I remembered I had a jar of Edge Kote which is slightly different from leather dye, it’s more of a cover than a thing that penetrates.  I added a coat of Edge Kote and it did a great job of covering it.  If some of the edge coat does wear off, it’s still for the most part dyed underneath it.

Here’s the finished snake whip:

snake whip

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

Jacka Repair

Jacka Repair

On Friday I had a six foot Jacka that’s 10-15  years old come in for a new fall and possibly to get some strands fixed:

Terry Jacka bullwhip

When the whip showed up it was very dry, missing the fall and had a couple of broken strands right at the fall  hitch.

Terry Jacka bullwhip

The whips owner and I decided to move the move the fall hitch a couple inches up the whip.  That was an easy fix to the broken strands and probably a better solution than adding in 2 strands for the last inch of the whip.   Also this is probably a better fix than just leaving it with the broken strands.

Terry Jacka bullwhip
Terry Jacka bullwhip

I gave this whip a few flicks and it’s still got a lot of life left in it!  It was interesting to see  how the Jacka transition has held up over the years.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

Fall Replacment

Fall Replacment

Today in the mail I got a bullwhip that I made about a  year ago sent to me for a fall replacement:

I took it to the park for a couple of cracks to make sure everything is playing nice:

Oh and if you can’t tell, the park by my house really needs to be mowed, the grass is up to my armpits!

Getting to see a whip that I made a year ago is really cool!  I’m amazed at how tight the plaiting still is…I did a pretty good job on it!

Louie
http://bullwhips.org