Yesterday I also managed to finish the overlay and built the heel knot foundation for an 8 foot Indy bullwhip.
This morning I tied the heel knot:
Here’s the knot foundation built up. This is the step a lot of people that try to make Indy Bullwhips miss. It’s a small part of making an Indy Bullwhip…but it’s important step that contributes to the overall look.
I’ve got an 8 foot Morgan Style Indy Bullwhip that I’m working on right now. I’ve got about 5 feet of the overlay plaited. I’ve notice my braiding time seems to be getting faster, I’m going to need to time myself again to see if that’s true. Currently I’m averaging about an hour per foot of the completed whip. So an 8 foot whip takes me about 8 hours start to finish to make.
After this bullwhip is finished I need to cut more falls and get them soaking in dressing, then I’ll start another 8 foot KotCS bullwhip.
Also after my experimentation with different thicknesses of bolsters I’ve settled on a combination that I like for my 8 foot and longer whips. I do the core and first bolster from a thinner Kip, the the 2nd bolster from a slightly thicker calf hide. It gives me a bit more weight out at the end of the bullwhip.
Last night I finished tying the knots on an 8 foot KotCS bullwhip and all I need to do is shellac it and it’s ready to ship out to Iowa!
Last night I also started an 8 foot Morgan Style Indy bullwhip. I cut out the core and both bellies and plaited the first belly:
Today I’ll get the 2nd bolster finished and the 2nd belly plaited and hopefully the overlay cut out. I’m trying to crank through my outstanding orders as fast as I can so that I get them all taken care of before my performing schedule picks up!
Yesterday I got a lot more work done on the 8 foot Indy bullwhip than I though I would. I’ve got about 4 feet of the overlay finished. I’m going to do the 12 to 10 plait drop soon.
After having a hard time making the 7 foot indy bullwhip the last two bullwhips have been much easier and are coming along very well. I think my was working something out and gave me a bad whipmaking day when I made the 7 footy.
On Thursday I ordered some more kangaroo skins to make a few more KotCS bullwhips. And I’ll probably head up to visit David Morgan this week to get some more natural tan kangaroo skins.
Yesterday I cut out both bellies for another 8 foot indy style bullwhip. I cut the bellies at a park between shows yesterday…So I sorta have two 8 foot bullwhips in the works. One is the KotCS style and that one has one belly plaited and the other bullwhip in the works is an 8 foot Old School Indy (morgan look).
Today I should be able to get the 2nd belly of the KotCS bullwhip finished. With a bit of luck I’ll be able to get some or all of the overlay cut out too.
Lately I’ve been able to get some bullwhip cracking in early in the day before the weather gets bad. With two handed cracking I learned something new (to me). In the past to go from cracking a figure 8 with both cracks together (doing the same thing at the same time) to doing opposite cracks (one hand doing the forward crack while the other does a reverse forward), I would move the cracks to a staggered pattern, then to a more pronounced stagger and finally to an opposite pattern.
What I learned was if I do a regular figure 8 in one hand and a fast figure 8 in the other they end up in opposite pattern. However I did have to teak the timing a tad, so the first crack of both aren’t together. I’ll try to make a little video of this today (but probably won’t have time).