Yesterday morning I was on the phone with the company that supplies the leather that I use for my Beginners Bullwhips. I was expecting a shipment of the cowhide last week, and it never showed up. I’ve found out that the two kinds of leather that I’ve used are unavailable (of course they didn’t tell me that when they took my order!).
So I’m trying out a couple of different types of leather that are more expensive than what I was using, but hopefully will make a decent whip. I’m trying a few more sides of English Kip and some Veg Tanned Goat. I’ve used English Kip to make bullwhips before, but honestly I think it was mislabeled because it was horrible. Supposedly the English Kip braids well, what I had in the past didn’t. As for the goat it’s something new to me, and I’m excited to try it out.
Since I’m paying more for these hides than was I was for the previous cowhide, the price of the beginners bullwhips will go up a bit. I’m thinking I”m going to try make 8 plait bullwhips out of these hides, that way you get a little more value out of the price hike.
We’ll see how well they braid an 8 plaits, if I keep breaking the English Kip or Veg Tanned Goat, I may go back to doing the bullwhips as 4 plait.
I’m expecting these hides to come in next week, so we’ll see what I think of them then.