Well I”m almost finished with the 9 foot bullwhip that I’m making and I’m not really happy with how it turned out. Somehow when making this bullwhip everything was a struggle.
For example I broke a strand, but that’s not really a big deal. Then I cut my short overlay strands (the ones that will be dropped) shorter than I would have liked, so I ended up dropping a bit sooner than I would have liked.
Also I’m thinking the way the last few feet tapered, this bullwhip might be better as an 8 foot, not 9 foot. I’m going to finish it as a 9 foot and then try it out and if it need to be shortened then I’ll take a foot off it.
Does all of this this make this whip bad…NOPE…but it sure doesn’t make it great! I’ll probably end up keeping this bullwhip for myself.
After this bullwhip is finished I’m making 4 budget bullwhips, then a 10 or 12 foot bullwhip.
The 9 foot bullwhip that I”m working on now has turned out to be a heavy bullwhip. I started work on the overlay last night and once I got about a 2 feet into it, I realized the thickest part of the handle is thicker than I wanted. It’s about 1.15 inches at it’s thickest part. I was hoping for it to be about 1 inch in diameter.
I have a couple of options right now:
1. I can leave the bullwhip as is.
2. I can undo the overlay and redo the boslter putting in a thinner one.
I think I”m going to go with putting in a thinner bolster. While I hate undoing 2 feet of plaiting, since this bullwhip has a bit of an experimental design, I figure I should try to make it as close to what I wanted to make, so fixing that is probably the best course of action.
Yesterday I ordered some more veg tanned drum stuffed kangaroo skins in natural tan, so I’ll be making some more Indy bullwhips soon. Lately I’ve been making a lot of the Beginner’s Bullwhips in 4 plait cowhide, and making this kangaroo bullwhip I realized how much I’ve missed using roo and how much more enjoyment I get out of making kangaroo whips!
With the 9 foot bullwhip that I’m working on right now, I’m trying out something new. I’m tweaking my old bullwhip design a little bit and making my bolsters a bit longer and my bellies go out a bit further.
I don’t know if this will be an improvement or not to the finished bullwhip…we’ll see.
Yesterday I ended up with a bit of food poisioning, so I didn’t get any work on the 9 foot bullwhip done in the afternoon. I’m feeling much better today.
This morning I was looking at what bullwhips were being offered on ebay (besides my current auction) and I noticed something that doesn’t look right. Some is selling a “Joe Strain” bullwhip…but honestly I don’t think it was made by Joe Strain.
Below is a picture of the bullwhip that’s being auctioned:
There are a couple of things wrong with this bullwhip based on the seller’s description:
1. It was only used once: It very well may have only been used once by the seller…if the seller had gotten it used. The transition on Joe’s whips don’t get that limp after one cracking session.
2. The Turkshead: If you look a the turks head on the bullwhip it’s not the one that Joe usually uses on his Indy style bullwhip. You can only get taht knot as a special order from Joe. From having seen and handled several of Joe Strain’s bullwhips and watched him tie a turkshead before, I’d bet money that Joe didn’t tie that one…it’s not neat enough for Joe’s work (unless it’s an OLD Strain whip).
3. It just doesn’t look right: Right now there are two bullwhips on ebay that were made by Joe Strain and this one makes the 3rd. Compare the way this bullwhip coils to the other ones currently listed on ebay and it just doesn’t look right.
I’m not accusing the seller if intentionally trying to mislead anyone about the maker of it. Whoever gave/sold this whip to them could have told them it was made by Joe Strain.
So that said, would I spend $499.98 on that particular whip…NO…especially when there are two other Joe Strain whips currently on ebay. But that’s just my opinion.
I still have about half the hide left that I’m making these bullwhip out of, so I’ll probably make another 4 or 5 of these. I do have the internal parts for 4 more measured out, so hopefully I’ll be able to crank out a few more by the end of the month.