Here’s the work that is completed on the bullwhip with the stingray handle in the last couple of days. I finished the outer belly:
The outer belly was attached:
One of the biggest challenges wasn’t the 20 plait lash, but figuring out a way to attach the stingray to the handle. For the handle the lash’s overlay has a long yoke that covers the whole handle, so the 20 plait lash is well secured under the sting ray. Then I cut the sting ray to size, put a bit of a “sealer” on the flesh side to give me a nice solid back to glue to the handle. Then I used contact cement to hold it place along with some stitching at the seam. It seems to be pretty solid right now. I also had to use my dremel to grind down some of the sting ray’s bumps at the seam so that there wouldn’t be any sharp edges.
Here’s the stingray cut to size:
And here’s the back of the sting ray after I coated it with gum tragacanth:
This bullwhip is my first whip that has a 20 plait lash (I’ve done some 24 plait handles before) and I was amazed at how easy…or how not super difficult it it. In the past the plaiting that I’ve done above 16 had fancy patterns, while this whip just has 4 seam work, which is pretty easy. And the strand drops aren’t too hard because the strands are soo thin there isn’t too much bulk you are dropping, however I am dropping 10 strands (or 5 drop points) in the last three feet of the bullwhip.
For some reason I tied the transition knot before the lash has been finished.
I should be able to find time to finish the lash of this bullwhip today…but I need to make some falls before I can complete the lash. So at some point today I’ll start cutting out falls.