Pocket Snake w/ sewn cover

Pocket Snake w/ sewn cover

Well today I did some more work on the snake whip with the sewn cover that I started a week ago.  the insides are all finished and I’m working on sewing the cover on:

pocket snake

Currently about 2/3 of the cover has been sewn.  Honestly I don’t know why anyone would make a whip with a sewn cover.  The sewing is killing my hands!  It’s a lot slower than just braiding the overlay.

However I can see a way to possibly make them faster.  I made this one with a leather shotbag, then a bolster.  If I didn’t use those and just filled the sewn cover with lead  you could probably bang these out pretty quickly…especially if you sew’d them with a sewing machine instead of by hand.   If it was made that way I don’t think you’d end up with as nice of a product, but it’d sure be quick and cheap to make!

Also the sewn cover would probably be a lot quicker to make if I used a different stitch than I’m currently using.  I used a stitch that looked clean, if I used a baseball type stitch I’d probably be done by now!

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

New Whip Project…

New Whip Project…

Right now I’m making something that’s based on a braiding project that David Morgan made for his son (Will) in 1971, basically it’s a plaited rattle snake!  Will showed it to me while at a Whip Workshop that we (Will Morgan, John Leonetti and I) did at a circus school in Seattle.   Unfortunately I didn’t bring a camera to this, but John Leonetti who is a great whip cracker and talented photographer took a ton of pictures you can see them at:  http://web.me.com/johnleonetti/cracktice/122709.html. The plaited snake that I’m talking about  is the 2nd to last picture.

It’s very cool looking!

Last night I started work on it, but the one that David made was just a braided snake, mine is going to be a snake whip.  A lot of people have the Snakes Head Fall Hitch (in Ron Edwards book), but I’ve never liked that hitch because the snakes head should be on the other side of the whip (the fat end).  That hitch looks good in a picture of the last six inched of the whip.

So last night I started work on my SNAKEwhip.  I made the shotbag and filled it lead and got the belly plaited over it.

snake whip

I also had time to cut out the strands for the overlay.  I wanted to do a practice run for the head of the snake because the whip is going to start at 8 plait at the snakes nose and I’ll be adding strands as I get to the fatter part of the snakes head.  I’ve never really added strands to increase the plait count of a whip (only dropped them), so I wanted to make sure my plan would work.  It did!

Later this morning I’ll do stretch, pare, stretch, split and grease up the strands and get to work on the braiding the SNAKEwhip.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

Some Test Cracking Videos…

Some Test Cracking Videos…

Yesterday I went out and did a few test cracks with some of the whips that I have for sale.

I did also take some video of the two tone pair of bullwhips that I recently made, but I haven’t uploaded it yet. I really like that pair of whips and I think I’m keeping them for myself (at least for a little while).

Louie
http://bullwhips.org