I finished the bullwhip with the shark spine handle and I think it turned out to be a pretty cool looking bullwhip!
For the handle I added a little bit of lead to balance it out a bit.
Making this bullwhip was a lot of fun. I always love the challenge of making something unique where there isn’t a “road map” and I have to figure out a way to make it work.
I just added this to my IN STOCK whips page.
I’ve gotten a lot of progress into the bullwhip with the shark spine handle. Here’s the belly inserted into the handle:
I put the handle (with belly attached) into the hollowed out shark spine. Then I filled it with epoxy and let it dry.
The next step was attaching the inner bolster. To do this I put a bit of leather cement on the inch of handle and belly that extended past shark spine and tightly bound the leather in place and let everything dry.
On top of that boslter I put a second bolster with basically the same process. Right now I’m working on the overlay and I’ll post pics of it when I’m finished with it.
Yesterday I got started on this bullwhip with the shark spine for a handle. Due the the fairly thin diameter of the handle this bullwhip will be under 5 feet long.
I started out by drilling out the center of the shark spine. This was easier than I thought it would be and once that I selected a 7 inch portion of the spine to use and broke away the rest of the spine.
I’m using leather for the core and putting in a piece of spring steel inside the spine.
Here’s a closer up picture of the spine with the spring steel going through it.
The hole drilled into the middle of the shark spine is wide enough to allow the core and belly to be mounted onto the spring steel and slid into the middle of the shark spine.
At the lash end of the shark spine I took my Dremel and sanded it so it’s a bit wider. One thing I learned is that sanding/grinding shark spine stinks!
Right now I have the core and belly inside the shark spine. What I did was I filled it with epoxy then slid the handle foundation into the shark spine. Currently the epoxy is drying. My next step is to do some more sanding on the handle to clean it up a bit more then give it a few coats of cover/sealant to help preserve the spine.
So far this is coming out pretty well…