This morning I finished work on the snake whip with the sewn cover:
I don’t know if I’ll ever make another one of these again, it was a lot of work! However this snake whip has an amazing crack!
I’ve listed this for sale on my IN STOCK whips page.
Well today I did some more work on the snake whip with the sewn cover that I started a week ago. the insides are all finished and I’m working on sewing the cover on:
Currently about 2/3 of the cover has been sewn. Honestly I don’t know why anyone would make a whip with a sewn cover. The sewing is killing my hands! It’s a lot slower than just braiding the overlay.
However I can see a way to possibly make them faster. I made this one with a leather shotbag, then a bolster. If I didn’t use those and just filled the sewn cover with lead you could probably bang these out pretty quickly…especially if you sew’d them with a sewing machine instead of by hand. If it was made that way I don’t think you’d end up with as nice of a product, but it’d sure be quick and cheap to make!
Also the sewn cover would probably be a lot quicker to make if I used a different stitch than I’m currently using. I used a stitch that looked clean, if I used a baseball type stitch I’d probably be done by now!