Recently I had a whip come in that was damaged by a dog chewing on it.
This lash was an older one and I found it very interesting internally based on what I could see. the core appeared to be sash core and very fine electrical wire. The metal in the wire that was exposed was soft and didn’t add any stiffness to the whip, and since it was very thin it couldn’t have added much weight. When it was newer the wire might have added a bit of rigidity to the whip, but with such a thin gauge it couldn’t have added much.
The wire ran the full length of the lash.
I made a 6 plait kangaroo lash to match it, however mine didn’t use any wire.
Here’s the new lash next to the old one:
This was a fun project for me!