This whip came in for a fall replacement:
Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it with the new fall before I shipped it back to its owner.
If you have a whip that needs a fall replacement or repair you can get some more info by clicking here!
I recently had this bullwhip come in:
It was really dry, so I greased it and let it soak in. The I put a new fall on it and replaited some of the point.
I took it to the park and gave it a quick crack and it still works!
Recently I had a whip come in that was damaged by a dog chewing on it.
This lash was an older one and I found it very interesting internally based on what I could see. the core appeared to be sash core and very fine electrical wire. The metal in the wire that was exposed was soft and didn’t add any stiffness to the whip, and since it was very thin it couldn’t have added much weight. When it was newer the wire might have added a bit of rigidity to the whip, but with such a thin gauge it couldn’t have added much.
The wire ran the full length of the lash.
I made a 6 plait kangaroo lash to match it, however mine didn’t use any wire.
Here’s the new lash next to the old one:
This was a fun project for me!
I recently preformed in a show that a buddy of mine also performed in, here he is doing his whip act:
I noticed the fall on his whip had gotten really short!
So I ran out to my car and quickly changed the fall on his whip. This is probably the most dressed up I’ve ever been while I worked on a whip!
And the whip is back in crackin’ shape!
I always keep a fall and a fid in the trunk of my car in case of emergencies!
I recently had a snake whip come in for a fall replacement. The owner said it was around 20 years old. Here’s what the snake whip looked like when it got to me:
The first step to replacing a fall is sliding the new fall over the point of the whip:
Then carefully cutting the end of the old fall and pulling it off the whip:
The point of the new fall is slipped into the fall hitch:
Tighten up the fall hitch, put a cracker on the new fall an you’re back in business!
This snake whip had a great crack with its new fall!
Here’s a swivel handle bullwhip that came in for a repair:
The knot had come off and the lash had started coming apart from the handle end.
My plan was slide the knot off the handle, replait it the lash, slide the knot back on and tighten it. However as I tried to slide the knot off, I got stuck and I noted some wire inside it:
It turns out this wire was originally what held the strands for the lash in place and what had failed in the whip. The knot and wire hand slipped off the plaiting.
The I undid the wire and used it to rewrap the strands once I replaited the lash. I also wrapped it with artificial sinew to make sure it holds longer. Unfortunately for me I had to completely retie the knot, however it ended up looking better than the knot that was on there before.
I just gave the whip a crack in my living room and was amazed it’s got a nice little crack to it!
Here are some pictures of the finished blackjack repair
It was a fun little repair project and it was interesting to see how this was made!
Recently I did a repair on a antique blackjack that had a broken wrist loop. Here’s how it looked initially:
Here’s a slightly closer up of the blackjack itself:
First thing I had to do was undo the knot:
Under the wrist loop there weren’t really any surprises, initially. What I did find interesting under the string was that the wrist loop was tacked to the spring foundation of the blackjack. It was just nailed inbetween the coils of the springs. I would have figured the texture of the spring and the binding with string would have held it fairly securely. Then thinking about this probably hanging from a policeman’s wrist or belt while they are running around all day those little tacks probably gave a bit of extra security!
Once the spring was taken off what was left was the bare spring foundation.
I’ll post some pictures of the finished repair soon.
I made this whip a little while ago and used it for a bit:
but then it got damaged.
So I lashed up the bullwhip where the strands were broken and visually you really can’t see a difference besides the string wrapped around the whip.
I took it out and gave it a few cracks and it works just fine:
I just listed this on eBay with a very low opening bid and no reserve. To bid on this whip visit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221458916442
A couple of weeks ago I had a dog lead sent to me for repair and I’ve finally gotten caught up on everything and this was the last project to finish! It had gotten chewed up and the wrist loop was in bad shape:
The first thing I had to do was remove the knot at the wrist loop and see how many of the 8 strands were actually broken:
I was hoping it miraculously was only three of them. However once I got the wrist loop unplaited I discovered it was six of the 8 strands. So not the worst case scenario which would have been all eight strands, but it was pretty close.
The next step was to unbraid the lead so that I could add lace in and have it anchored in place by plaiting once I rebraided it.
I didn’t add all six strands at one spot, that would have created a huge lump in the dog lead. What I did was thin down the ends of the new lace with by bench splitter and gradually add them in. Here are the first two being added in:
Once all six strands were added and secured I changed the plaiting from a round pattern to a flat pattern for the wrist loop. After securing the wrist loop I tied the first part of the knot:
And added in the red interweave:
And now it’s ready to head back to its owner!
I think given the circumstances it turned out pretty well and wasn’t too crazy of a repair!