Recently I was contacted to make a Martinet Whip. I’d never made one of these whips before or knew what they were. You can learn about them by clicking here. Basically it’s a flogger with multiple lashes.
The customer wanted 10 lashes, so I had a plan. I did a six plait braid over a tapered rod, then at the end of the rod, I did a 4 plait section that the six plait when over. That gave me 10 lashes.
However these 10 lashes being kangaroo didn’t have much weight to them, making them ineffective at transferring energy. I didn’t like this. So I tied them off below the rebate in the rod that was the handle.
I took some five latigo strips and thinned them down in the middle. I folded them in half and bound them to the end of the handle. Doing it this way gave me very little bulge at the end where the lashes were attached and also gave the lashes a very firm foundation.
I braided the 12 plait overlay over the top of that and here’s the finished Martinet Whip.
It’s in the mail to its new owner.
Here’s another whip that I forgot I had! It’s a cat of nine tails. I made several of these for a movie, and they had one that they didn’t need, so they let me keep it.
The handle is 18 inches and each of the lashes are 18 inches. I just listed this for sale on my IN STOCK whips page!
I started making this Cat O’ Nine Tails a long time ago! It was for a customer that ordered one and may have needed a second matching one. To make the work easier for me I started them both at the same time so that I could match diameter and thickness of the lashes. Turns out they didn’t need the second Cat O’ Nine Tails, so this one has had work very slowly put in on it over the last year.
This whip had all the lashes plaited, but they needed to be tied off, so yesterday I put the knots on the ends of all the lashes.
Now all that’s left to do is put on a wrist loop, do the two turksheads and shellac. This Cat of Nine Tails has slightly different construction than I would normally use. Normally I would use a shot loaded core, but this one (and it’s mate) have fiberglass cores. Hopefully I’ll finally finish this over the next few days!
I’m still working on the two Cat of Nine Tails, they are making some progress. Here’s the pair with three tails each completed:
And here they are in their current state:
One has six lashes complete and the other has three complete with lace attached for three more lashes. The fun part of working on this is making cutting out the lace for the lashes at 3mm! Here’s a close up of some of the lashes:
I still have a lot of work to go, but with nine lashes complete and three more cut out and ready to be plaited I’m over halfway finished with the lashes (woo hoo!).