English Calf Bullwhip

English Calf Bullwhip

I made this whip a little while ago and used it for a bit:

bull whip

but then it got damaged.

bull whip

So I lashed up the bullwhip where the strands were broken and visually you really can’t see a difference besides the string wrapped around the whip.

bullwhip

 

I took it out and gave it a few cracks and it works just fine:

I just listed this on eBay with a very low opening bid and no reserve.  To bid on this whip visit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221458916442

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

Bull Whip Strand Break…

Bull Whip Strand Break…

Yesterday I was plaiting a bullwhip and about 5 inches past my first strand drop (12 to 10 plait) I broke a strand.  When that happens there are typically three options:

  1. Add a New Strand:  I could cut out a new piece of lace and add it into the plaiting as I drop out the broken strand.  To to this I would have to unplait some of the whip to properly anchor the new strand.
  2. Swap Out a Filler Strand: This is a pretty easy procedure, simply drop the broken strand and add in one of the filler strands from inside.
  3. Unplait to the Strand Drop and Switch Strands:  To do this I would unbraid the whip to the strand drop and switch the dropped strand for the broken one.   So the broken one gets dropped and the one that was previously dropped ends up as part of the overlay.

Since I was fairly close to the strand drop I figured I might as well back it up and swap out the broken strand for the dropped strand.  In this particular situation that was the best option and basically it’s like the strand was never broken!

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

Broken Strand

Broken Strand

Last night I was hoping to finish the 8 plait bullwhip that I started earlier in the week, but I broke strand and didn’t really feel like fixing it, so I stopped work early last night.

This morning I replaced the broken strand and continued braiding. I’m almost finished with the overlay and honestly I’m not too happy with how this bullwhip is turning out. I might end up selling it as a “second” for dirt cheap, however it’s not a good representation of my work, so I may end up giving it away to a friend.

After today I’m out of town until 2/1, so if you email me or call me don’t expect to hear back until 2/2.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org

kip sucks!

kip sucks!

Well my mind is made up kip sucks for whipmaking!  For the first couple feet of the kip bullwhip that I was making it was doing alright, but once the strands started to taper and weren’t 8mm wide they were breaking like crazy.  I was breaking  a strand every 6-9 inches.

12 plait bullwhip
kip bullwhip

I wasn’t pulling very hard either (maybe 60% -70% of the pull that I’d use for kangaroo), and after fixing the strands about 6 times I’ve decided to cut off the overlay.  I don’t know what I’ll do with the bellies that are done…maybe I’ll cut out a kangaroo overlay and plait that over the kip bellies.

Anyway as far as my whipmaking goes, I’m not going to mess with kip for anything other than bolsters or 4 plait whip.

Tomorrow or Sunday I’ll start on making a 12 plait kangaroo signal whip.

Louie

http://bullwhips.org

Broken Strands

Broken Strands

Last night while working on th 8 foot bullwhip I broke a strand!  Breaking a strand isnt’ the end of the world, but it’s a pain in the ass.  I’ve got a technique that I use to drop the broken one and add in a new one.  I think this technique is original to me (but I could be wrong). 

What I do is I undo some of the overlay and taper the broken strand to a point…but I give myself room to do some plaiting before it tapers.  Then I take the strand that is going to be added and taper the start of that strand to a point.  I add the point under the bolster and plait over it.  It will wind out from under the bolster shortly before it’s needed. 

Then when I’m ready I add the strand to the overlay, but don’t drop the broken strand yet.  At that point both strands (the broken and one to be added) are about half the width of the other strands in the overlay.  I run them together for one hitch, then drop the broken strand and continue with the added strand. 

I don’t know if this is the best way to do it visually, because you can see a “double strand”, but it seems to avoid and lumps that I normally get when dropping and adding strands.  Also I think it holds them in place pretty well. 

 That’s how I’m currently dealing with broken strands.  It seems to work pretty well. 

Louie

www.bullwhips.org