A couple of weeks ago I had a dog lead sent to me for repair and I’ve finally gotten caught up on everything and this was the last project to finish! It had gotten chewed up and the wrist loop was in bad shape:
The first thing I had to do was remove the knot at the wrist loop and see how many of the 8 strands were actually broken:
I was hoping it miraculously was only three of them. However once I got the wrist loop unplaited I discovered it was six of the 8 strands. So not the worst case scenario which would have been all eight strands, but it was pretty close.
The next step was to unbraid the lead so that I could add lace in and have it anchored in place by plaiting once I rebraided it.
I didn’t add all six strands at one spot, that would have created a huge lump in the dog lead. What I did was thin down the ends of the new lace with by bench splitter and gradually add them in. Here are the first two being added in:
Once all six strands were added and secured I changed the plaiting from a round pattern to a flat pattern for the wrist loop. After securing the wrist loop I tied the first part of the knot:
And added in the red interweave:
And now it’s ready to head back to its owner!
I think given the circumstances it turned out pretty well and wasn’t too crazy of a repair!