I had this whip come in for a repair. The keepers on the handle and the lash were basically gone. What was left of the keeper on the lash was the loop from an inner layer of the whip. The keeper on the handle was about to fall off as well.
I wanted to keep what was left of the keepers/loops and build over them. This in theory will provide a bit more strength than if I had cut them off.
For the handle, I took off the knot:
Then removed the string:
I then put a new keeper onto where the string was. I bound it really tight with sinew and put a new knot on it.
I did a similar procedure for the lash:
And the end result turned out looking pretty nice!
I gave it a crack, and it works great!
I want to give a shout out to Paul Nolan for helping me get some kangaroo that matched the whip!